Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Prayer of Jabez: Make It Your Own


Have you ever heard of, "The Prayer of Jabez?" I hadn't until about 13 years ago when it suddenly seemed to become really popular and there were different books showing up for it in stores, both Christian and secular.  It's a rather short prayer, quite simple, yet, very profound, deep and well rounded.  It's a prayer that asks God to bless us... to bless the person praying it.

Here's the short prayer, (a hidden treasure), found in Sacred Scripture: Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that you would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!"  So God granted him what he had requested.  1 Chronicles 4:10

How often do we remember to ask God to not only bless others, but ourselves as well? Of course, God wants us to pray for others and it's good that we do, because they need our prayers and God hears us when we pray.  And so the same goes for ourselves, we need prayers too, and even if we have people that are already praying for us, still, it's so important for us to pray for ourselves as well. Especially to pray that God's blessing be upon us.


I really do love this little, yet powerful prayer of Jabez... and like with many other formulated prayers, I have personalized it to fit my own life and made it my own. Having recently re-discovered this beautiful prayer, my heart grows more and more fond of it and wants to pray it more and more... at least every day!


If you're not familiar with this prayer, why not try applying it to your own life and making it your own.  Just give it a try... and see how God will  bless you and work special wonders in your life!


Call on the God of Israel, the God of Love and Giver of all good Gifts and say... "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!"  Allow God the blessed opportunity, by praying this prayer... to grant you, also, what you request of Him.


Endless Blessings in Christ!




No comments:

Post a Comment